Understanding an important law concerning motorhomes

Motorhomes provide many wonderful opportunities to enjoy great holidays both in the UK and further afield. Whether you choose motorhome hire or have the luxury of owning a vehicle they give you the opportunity to travel and take your accommodation with you. Not to mention you can ensure the vehicle is well stocked before you move on so you always have supplies.

Owning a motorhome is a luxury but it doesn’t come without some obligations. It is likely you’ll only use it for a short period of time each year. When it is not in use many people will be lapse in terms of insurance. If you do this you need to make sure you notify the DVLA and have the vehicle declared SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification). If you don’t declare you can find yourself with a fine.

In June 2011 the Continuous Insurance Enforcement (CIE) law came into force. This states that vehicles must be insured when they are not declared off the road. Failing to do so puts you in breach of the law and means you are committing an offense. CIE applies to any road-registered vehicle, whether it is a motorhome, a motorbike, a car, or any other.

When vehicles are insured they enter the Motor Insurance Database. It was set up five years ago and contains the insurance data of every vehicle. When coverage elapses an alert is given and enforcement can follow. This means that vehicles stored in plain sight as well as though under cover in garages can be penalised.

The thing to learn is that you need to keep the insurance current or officially declare every vehicle as SORN when it is not being driven. This will protect you from the penalties.

At Motorhome Hire we offer an array of services to help travellers have the best road holidays. This includes a booking system so they can find and book vehicles in countries all over the world along with help and advice about everything from destinations and driving to laws.